Author: Kaz Kylheku
To: TXR Users
Subject: Version 191 is out: Compiler + VM.

Hi all,

TXR 191 is out. Binaries at Bintray, as usual.

I'm pleased to announce that TXR Lisp is now a compiled (too) language.

It compiles to the instruction set of a register-based, Lisp-oriented virtual machine.

Dynamic compiling of functions and expressions is supported, as well as file compiling: conversion of .tl files to .tlo (TXR Lisp object) files.

Compared to raw Lisp, compiled code loads and executes a lot faster, takes less space, and is, of course, resistant to reverse engineering.

The entire standard library (those parts written in Lisp) is now compiled. The compiler is part of that library, and thus self-hosted.

In addition, or in spite of this, I have fixed a lot of bugs in the same milestone also.

Cheers ...